AIGC – Conference Travel Support Application and Guidelines
AIGC will have limited resources to assist up to 10 students with conference related travel between January 2016 through May 2016. Due to high interest in this program, AIGC will only fund up to two (2) requests per conference – you may wish to partner with another applicant as a “group” to maximize the benefit of this funding.
Program information can be found below:
American Indian and Alaska Native students in higher education may request an AIGC Conference Travel Support award to present original research and topics at a discipline-specific conference. A cash award may be applied to any conference related travel, including transportation, lodging, conference fees or dining-needs through the conference dates.
Applicants must review these Conference Travel Support Application Guidelines before requesting assistance.
Eligible expenses covered by the award
Conference Travel Support awards will be up to but no more than $500. Applicants must provide justification for the award by indicating which of the following areas are covered by other support, i.e. institutional support, organizational scholarships, fellowship benefits, etc. The student’s conference adviser or sponsor must provide a written statement of support indicating the student’s need for support.
- Only nights of a conference, not pre-conference, will be covered
- In the event of multiple applicants for the same conference, AIGC may request that applicants share a suite-style room
- Applicants must reside more than 75 miles from a conference location
- AIGC will not retroactively (post-conference dates) reimburse these costs
- Airfare, bus* or train* travel to conference including baggage fees
- If driving, applicants must reside more than 75 miles from a conference location
- Ground transportation, hotel parking fees or convention center parking fees
- AIGC may retroactively (post-conference dates) reimburse these costs with prior approval
* For bus or train fare, awardee must travel within a 200 miles radius from the conference location or indicate why this form of travel is more cost-effective or desired than air travel.
- Conference fees
- Conference registration (pre-conference fees will not be approved unless the student is a panelist or presenter for the pre-conference).
- Conference related banquet fees, reception fees that are charged above registration
- Food and Beverage
- Costs associated with dining during conferences in accordance with federal per diem rates. This may include dining while traveling to and from a conference
NOTE: Award DOES NOT cover organizational membership or subscription fees.
Applicants must meet these eligibility requirements:
- Be one of the following at time of the conference:
- Currently enrolled full-time degree-seeking graduate student (or be within 3 months of degree completion); or
- Currently enrolled full-time degree-seeking undergraduate student (or be within 3 months of degree completion); and
- Accepted presenter or panelist for the conference for which the award is requested.
- Must be in good academic standing at time of application and award as evidenced in the statement of support provided by the student’s adviser or conference sponsor.
- Individuals and groups in all subject areas are eligible to apply so long as they are presenting original research and programs.
- Student groups must have a mission that promotes American Indian and Alaska Native participation in higher education and/or the discipline-specific field.
NOTE: Award DOES NOT cover costs associated with internship experiences at this time.
Awards to Student Groups
The following student groups may receive consideration for a travel grant award up to $1000 total; however, award allocation is not solely based on the criteria below but is also subject to application review and availability of funds.
- University sanctioned student organizations with accepted group-presentation sessions* or research abstracts*, consolidating transportation by utilizing university fleet vehicles (car, van or bus);
- University sanctioned student organizations with accepted group-presentation sessions* or research abstracts*, consolidating lodging with up to 4 members sharing rooms;
- University sanctioned discipline-specific student organizations attending discipline-specific conferences as a function of graduation expectations.
*Student organizations attending a conference to perform cultural exhibitions are not eligible for travel grants as this travel should be covered by the inviting organization.
Award Allocation – Review Criteria
Awards will be made in the following prioritization order; however, award allocation is not solely based on the criteria below but is also subject to application review and availability of funds.
- First-time graduate-level individual applicants with accepted presentation session or research abstract
- First-time undergraduate-level individual applicants with accepted presentation session or research abstract
- Returning graduate-level individual applicants with accepted presentation or research abstract
- Returning undergraduate-level individual applicants with accepted presentation session or research abstract
- First-time group applicants with accepted presentation session or research abstract
- Returning group applicants that have not been funded within the past 2 years.
In addition to the application all applicants must submit the following:
- An accepted abstract notification can be emailed after award notification or included with the adviser’s letter in one file upload, and;
- Proof of paid student registration within 3 weeks of the conference to be emailed after award notification or included with the adviser’s letter in one file upload – failure to register by the deadline stated in the notification email will result in withdrawal of the award, and;
- A letter, from the students’ academic adviser, that releases applicant from attendance for the requested time-frame and indicates the vitality of the student’s participation in the conference. If the adviser prefers to email the letter directly, have it submitted to email@example.com and upload a Word document indicating this as you cannot submit without an uploaded document, and;
- A conference report and print quality pictures for publication, which will be requested from AIGC following the conference.
Click here to apply NOTE – Applications submitted will be retained for program justification. We will notify you when applications have been reviewed.
For more information about this program or to support the student conference travel fund, please contact
the Director for Fellowships and Special Programs at 505-881-4584 or email firstname.lastname@example.org