Home Town: Burns, Oregon
Tribe: Burns Paiute Tribe
Scholarship: GMS – Undergraduate
School: University of Oregon
Major: Music Performance
- Volunteer at local high school band program for 1 year and still volunteering
- Volunteer private lessons to music students on any instrument in person or through skype
- Volunteer with UO Native American Student Union events
- Perform at local retirement homes
- Peer mentor for first-generation freshman college students
Jon grew up in Eastern Oregon on the small reservation of the Burns Paiute Tribe. He became the first ever Gates Millennium Scholar from his community and went on to be one of few to go to college. At the University of Oregon, Jon had the great opportunity of being involved with many activities that helped shape him into the person he is today. From playing in the Oregon Marching Band to helping out at the Native American Student Union events and even performing with the UO Symphony Orchestra, Jon’s time there has been an amazing experience.
Jon is currently a senior and a music performance major. His dream in life is to help underrepresented, low income, or minority students realize their potential for greatness and go on to college. Jon hopes to inspire those from his own community to see that it is entirely possible for their people to become educated. Jon likes to think of himself as a trailblazer for not only his family but for his tribal community.